We thought it would be good to highlight some of the important policies that ACL has in place, and to emphasise how they should be reflected in your practice.
Please take a few moments to look at the e-safety policy here, and remind yourself of its contents.
Key considerations for tutors:
- Do you talk to learners about e-safety when they are using the internet for their learning, or for getting information eg using social media to find out about local opportunities? Have you given learners a copy of our E-safety Advice for learners?
- Have learners signed the Acceptable Use of IT statement?
- Have you collected signatures from learners to give their consent when you take photos/video of them?
- Does your IT equipment have firewalls/anti-virus software?
- Have you recorded on your session plan (Risk assessment section) whether you are supervising learners’ use of internet/social media – ie are learners using the internet in sessions? Have you recommended particular websites, have you planned time in the session to talk to learners about trusted sites?
Useful, related resources eg suggested Acceptable Use of IT statement, E-safety Advice (for learners) and photo/video consent form can be found on our website here
CPD – Tutor training opportunities
We have devised a CPD session to focus on “Delivering British Values in practice” with lots of practical examples from different subject areas, and adaptable activities, with embedded RARPA recap.
RARPA and British Values in Practice
Wednesday 15th February 15.30-18.30 Lichfield Campus, South Staffs College
Tuesday 28th February 9.30-12.30 Trentham Suite Staffordshire Place 1, Stafford
***Please book your place ASAP to take part in this valuable training session by emailing email@example.com and please mention if you have any accessibility requirements.
Further CPD coming soon: Safeguarding Refresher training and Embedding English and Maths.
As you may know, we have sets of iPads which are available to loan to tutors for use in ACL classes. 2 sets are now booked for March – July, but 1 set is still available. Please get in touch if you would like to borrow 8 iPads from March to July 2017. The iPads could for example be used with learners in the classroom to:
- create a learner log/learning diary, to enable learners to monitor and record their own progress,
- assess learning,
- access interactive websites and apps for teaching and learning
- access online information, guidance or online tutor demonstrations
- video-record learners in physical activity classes and provide feedback, e.g. yoga
- enable learners in family learning classes to keep up to date with the use of technology by their children in school
At Codsall High School Community Learning, Paola Ciancimino has got her learners to use the iPad to access an interactive quiz, revision games on Kahoot.it, to do independent research for a presentation, and to use Padlet which is an online wall where you can post ideas, links, media etc. The learners found it great to share instant feedback, and they supported each other in getting to grips with the new technology so it enhanced the group dynamics as well as their language skills. They found the online activities more fun than doing an equivalent activity with pen and paper.
If you are interested in borrowing the iPads, please get in touch by 31st January 2017 at the latest, via the comment box below, or by email: acl@Staffordshire.gov.uk
Festival of Learning Awards
The Festival of Learning (formerly known as Adult Learners’ Week) Award winners 2016 were announced in September. You can see their inspiring stories here: https://www.festivaloflearning.org.uk
2017 Nominations will be open from 1st Feb – 31st March in the following categories:
Outstanding Individual Learner Young Adult Learner (18-25 year olds) Social Impact Learning for Work sponsored by NOCN Employer sponsored by NOCN Inspirational Tutor Project Award President’s Award Patron’s Award
Last year one of the winners was from the West Midlands, having attended a course at Birmingham Adult Education Service. The Festival of Learning organisation generated quite a lot of publicity via internet and social media for these awards.
We are sure that we have some great learning going on in Staffordshire and it would be fantastic to have a nomination that recognises the impact of the Adult Community Learning that you are involved in.
If you have an inspiring story to tell, please see the page here for the details of the nomination process and do let us know!
February – LGBT History Month
7th Feb – Safer Internet day
Why not use these national events to start a discussion with your groups?
These dates come from the electronic Diversity Calendar 2016/17 available here which has details of a multitude of different events to celebrate including religious festivals, National awareness days and months eg Mental health Awareness day, Black History month etc. You can save this into your electronic calendar and so you always have up-and-coming events at your fingertips!
Please get in touch if you have questions, comments or queries about any of the above, it’s great to hear from you! You can use the comment box below or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org